We’ve said before that we would like to have a gallery wall down the hallway of the living room. We purchased some frames, but unfortunately I haven’t found/made any art to go into the frames. (We want to use items that have special meaning to us). That is, until now! While rearranging the closet in the second bedroom I found a white rose Ricky gave to me on our wedding day.
I have been trying to keep it safe all these years until I decided how to display it, but as I was cleaning out the closet the stem broke. Oh, no! Then it dawned on me: it’s now the perfect size to put in a shadow box!
I wanted to add interest behind the rose using scrapbook paper. I rummaged thought several pages I had collected and until I found the perfect backdrop.
I trimmed it to size and taped it to the matting.
Then I positioned the rose to until I liked the placement.
To attach the rose to the paper, I added a small dab of glue from a hot glue gun to the stem. I only used a little bit because I didn’t want to damage the rose and the rose was light enough that it didn’t require any additional adhesive.
Then I put the shadow box together and voila! Seminal wall art!
Now only about 20 more items to finish our gallery wall…
We hope everyone had a safe and wonderful 4th of July. We did!
But did have a bit of an adventure over the weekend. Our A/C went out!! And with temperatures in the 90’s and living in humid Virginia, it wasn’t fun.
It was Saturday afternoon. Ricky had just left for a show and I was working around the house. I noticed it was feeling warmer that usual upstairs. I check the thermostat and it was at 75 degrees inside. We usually keep the house around 72 during the day and 68 at night (we like it COLD when we sleep). I lowered the temperature hoping the A/C just wasn’t being able to keep up with the warmth outside. No luck. The temperature kept climbing. I checked the registers and the air coming out wasn’t cold. I texted Ricky to let him know what was going on and he texted our friend, Nick, who works with HVAC for a living. Fortunately, he could come by the next evening, yay!!
I decided to turn the A/C off (no point in it running if it’s not cooling) and open the windows upstairs. It was a little cooler outside and 79 degrees in the house by this point. Thankfully, we have a basement that stays about 10 degrees cooler than the upstairs, so we all slept down there in the guest room. Ricky thought to turn on all of the ceiling fans upstairs, which helped, but it was still around 78 degrees when I got up the next morning. As we headed out for church, we hoped Brodie and Trixie would stay downstairs where it was cool. They didn’t. When we got back to the house, they were sleeping upstairs. Crazy kids! We decided to avoid staying at the house too much, so we went out for lunch and a movie (Despicable Me 2!!!).
When we got back to the house, it was still only 82 degrees inside. Apparently our house is insulated pretty well, otherwise it probably would have gotten a bit hotter.
Nick came over to take a look at the A/C unit. Thankfully, after a quick look at the condenser (the outside unit), he told us we were lucky and that he already knew what the problem was. It was a blown capacitor, a $20 part that he had on hand. After a quick swap (it literally took him 10 minutes to diagnose and fix) everything was running smoothly again! Yay!
We’re so thrilled that it ended up being a quick, easy, and inexpensive fix. And that we have a friend that could come to the rescue. Thanks Nick!